The PQR is one of the university’s monitoring and review activities that provides each area with the opportunity to holistically review the quality and standards of the last six years, ensuring both quality assurance and enhancement of the student journey.
During the PQR, the panel reviewed a host of evidence and heard feedback from staff, students and external advisers to reach a positive judgement on the academic quality and standards of the School of Engineering and Innovation provision.
We would like to thank again the group of students who met with the review panel to express their views and share their experiences of studying Computing and Communications modules and qualifications.
The panel made 10 commendations and 9 recommendations, some of which are summarised here:
The panel recommended that:
- The school develops systematic induction processes for all students, including within clarity on the expectations for Information, Advice and Guidance available.
- The school makes explicit at the commencement of study the need for students/learners to have a clear understanding of the principles underpinning technology incorporated in modules or qualifications.
- The university considers how the module chooser could be developed to enable students to explore and map out module choices throughout their studies.
The panel commended:
- The activities taken by the school to support students entering the University via Access course entry and through individualised Bridging Study routes.
- The impressive range of work undertaken across the school on employability, including the number of events held or planned; including the ‘Women in Computing’ conference.
- The positive feedback given by many students when they had sought support from Student Support Teams (SST). Students described this as responsive, timely and informative.
The Computing and Communications team are now in the process of preparing an action plan to respond to these recommendations.
If you would like to know more about the findings of the Review, please contact the Academic Quality Standards Team on firstname.lastname@example.org.